Is it really already July?
Summer is in full swing (although here in Cologne, Germany, we have only got the pleasure of a little taste yet, but we will get there – … hopefully). The flowers are blooming, the nights are shorter, the days sunnier and longer. These beautiful days, all I can think about is to be outside: from meeting up with friends in beer gardens and parks to shifting my workouts outside so that I can enjoy the birds’ twitter, the wind blowing in my hair and the sun kissing my skin.
On a sunny Sunday like this, nothing comes close to the deliberating effect of singing and dancing to Miranda Lambert while baking a fruity berry summer cake. I got inspired by the Swedish Midsummer berry cake recipe by Nourish Atelier – a wonderful food blog with lots of healthy and delicious recipes. It looked so tasty that I had to give it a shot and the result is: it is a fruity citrus dream of a cake! Perfect to indulge in on a coffee-and-cake kind of Sunday in the garden. In my version, I did some minor changes, here is how I did it:
- 125g coconut oil
- 125g honey
- 2/3 cup almond milk
- zest of 1 orange
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 banana, mashed
- 2tbsp vanilla extract
- 250g spelt flour
- 1tbsp baking powder
- 75g cacao powder
- pinch of salt
- pinch of cardamom
Berry mascarpone icing:
- 200g mascarpone
- raspberries, one handful, halved
- 1 cup strawberries, quartered
- 2tbsp honey
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1tbsp cinnamon
- 1tsp honey
- 1/4 cup almonds, halved
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Grease a 25cm spring form with coconut oil.
- Melt the coconut oil slowly in a pan.
- In a bowl, mix together the mashed banana, almond milk, vanilla extract, orange and lemon zest and honey. When the oil is melted, all to the bowl and mix well.
- In another bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, cacao powder, salt and cardamom.
- Whisk in the wet ingredients to blend.
- Bake until a fork inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes..
- In the meantime, mix all the ingredients – except for the 1tsp honey and the almonds – for the icing and put in the refrigerator to cool.
- Put the almonds on a plate and sprinkle honey over them. Put in the oven for 10 minutes.
- When the cake is ready, let it rest to cool.
- When the cake is cooled down, add the icing on top and spinkle the caramelised almonds over the cake.
- Et voilà, enjoy with a cup of coffee and lots of sunshine in the garden. 🙂
Tell me, if you try the cake and let me know, how it turns out! Would love to see your pictures of your cakes on Pinterest or via e-mail!
Have a lovely Sunday,
-your tiny woman in a giant world